Unicode is not UTF-810 Apr 2010 Problems with encoding are common on a lot of projects I worked on. Sometimes I tend to get the feeling that I understand most of it but then there are always aspects I did not get right. This week I noticed that even my basic knowledge is not really firm.
Currently I am working on a system where we do a lot of imports from other systems that provide data as XML. The company that delivers the data sent us some sample data that we tried to import. The XML document was supposed to be in UTF-8 but somehow our parser always choked on some byte sequences. When we added iso-8859-1 to the xml prolog the parsing was working fine but all non-ASCII characters where not displayed correctly.
Using hexedit I looked at the document and located the values for non-ASCII characters like 'ä' which is displayed as 'C3 A4' in hex. But looking it up in the Unicode code chart it should be the value '00 E4'. We complained that the data seemed to be send in a different encoding but not UTF-8.
Of course the company could not find any problem because we were just wrong. Unicode is not UTF-8! UTF-8 is an encoding scheme which is used to encode unicode characters but the byte values do not match.
Let's analyze the example character 'ä' in a UTF-8 document. It displays as 'C3 A4'. In binary format this is:
1100 0011 1010 0100
UTF-8 uses a start byte and one or more continuation bytes. A start byte is identified by two leading '11' which makes the first byte our start byte. Continuation bytes are identified by a leading '10', so the second byte is a continuation byte. These are the control bits that are used by UTF-8. Let's see what our sequence looks like if we just remove these control bits, shift the bits together and pad the left side with 0:
0000 0000 1110 0100
Of course this is the expected Unicode value '00 E4' for 'ä'.
Very basic, but I still managed to get it wrong.
Later a colleague noticed that in some part of our application a String was created from a byte array without specifying an explicit encoding. Ouch! Finally it was fixed quickly but we should have looked at our code first before blaming the data provider.